Grass seed for shaded areas
Choosing the right grass seed for shaded areas depends on the level of shade in your garden. Our STEADFAST grass seed range offers two exceptional options tailored to grow in these challenging growing conditions:
- STEADFAST: Shade - This variant is ideal for areas of your lawn that experience dappled shade or partial shade throughout the day but are not completely starved of sunlight.
- STEADFAST: Ultra Shade - The ideal seed mix if you have areas in your garden sheltered from sunlight by buildings, tall fences, walls, or large trees, our STEADFAST: Ultra Shade seed mix is the perfect solution.
Shade-tolerant grass seed species in our mixes
- The main grass seed type we chose for our STEADFAST: Shade mix is Strong Creeping Red Fescue, which grows rapidly and thrives in low light conditions. Its creeping nature enables it to cover a large area and recover well from wear and tear, making it an excellent choice for shaded parts of your lawn.
- Chewings Fescue is a grass seed type that features in both our STEADFAST: Shade and STEADFAST: Ultra Shade mixes. This hardy fine grass seed grows thickly with resilience, which enables it to flourish in low-fertility soils, making it an ideal fit for shaded areas.
- We’ve included the Poa Supina grass seed variant in our STEADFAST: Ultra Shade mix for areas constantly deprived of sunlight. This super-species is exceptionally shade-tolerant and can thrive in low to no-light conditions, making it the ultimate solution for permanently shaded garden areas.
Once you’ve chosen the appropriate variant from our STEADFAST range, you can use our convenient Grass Seed Calculator to determine the amount of grass seed you’ll need for the shaded areas.
Knowing when to sow your seeds
Timing is crucial when sowing grass seed in shaded areas. The best seasons for sowing are spring, summer, and autumn when temperatures consistently reach at least 15 degrees Celsius. Fescue grass species, the primary seeds used in our blends, thrive under these conditions.
Benefits of sowing grass seed for shade in spring:
Spring offers mild temperatures that are warm enough for seed germination. Additionally, the abundance of spring showers provides natural watering for your seeds. By sowing in spring, your lawn will be ready for enjoyment by summer, allowing you to relax and appreciate the season.
Benefits of sowing grass seed for shade in summer:
The summer months in the UK typically have stable temperatures without unexpected cold periods. The combination of ample sunshine and warmth creates optimal conditions for grass seed germination. As long as you consistently water your lawn, it will thrive during the summer. +
You should avoid sowing during temperatures exceeding 25 degrees, especially during heat waves and droughts. Instead, wait until conditions return to normal before planting your grass seed to ensure successful germination and growth.
Tips on growing grass seed for shaded areas successfully
While grass seed for shade can grow and thicken on its own due to its adaptability to low-light and low-quality soils, you can still take steps to encourage even thicker and greener growth:
- Water your shade-tolerant grass seed once or twice a day until it reaches the ideal height for its first mowing, similar to any newly planted grass seed.
- If you’re seeding in a moist area prone to moss, ensure the soil is aerated and adequately drained to prevent waterlogging.
- Once the grass in the shaded areas is established, continue watering it as frequently as the rest of your lawn. Since shaded areas often receive less rain, watering them at least once a week is essential, even if your region is experiencing regular rain.
- If large trees or hedges cast shade over your lawn, be generous with watering, as the grass will compete with other plants for water and nutrients.
- Regularly fertilise your lawn to promote growth, improve its health, and enhance resistance against common lawn diseases.
- Allow the grass in shaded areas to grow slightly taller than the rest of your garden before mowing. This allows the blades to capture more sunlight as they grow and encourages deeper root growth and overall lawn strength.
You can achieve a flourishing and vibrant lawn by following these guidelines and choosing the right grass seed for shaded areas.
If you have any questions regarding our STEADFAST range, the unique growing conditions in your garden, or queries about growing grass seed, please don’t hesitate to send us a message. We are here to help you get the garden you’re after, regardless of the challenges present by nature.