There comes a time when garden lawns look tired, weathered, and need some essential care. Especially, when they’re being overrun by weeds and moss - it can appear that your lovely garden lawn is disappearing before your eyes! This post outlines when you should use weed and feed on your lawn and how it can help revitalise your garden.
How can you combat weeds and moss while still feeding your lawn?
Our solution to this common problem is our fast-acting Feed, Weed & Mosskiller. Not only does it fight against moss and weed, but it also feeds your lawn and gives it a boost. Furthermore, it completes these three jobs quickly and is easy to use. Many people are unaware of when they can use weed and feed and its benefits.
What time of the year can you use weed and feed fertiliser products?
Most weed and feed fertilisers can be used every 6 - 8 weeks during spring, summer, and autumn.
Our weed and feed fertiliser carry out these tasks in three noticeable steps – it shrinks moss so it dies off quickly and can be easily raked away, weeds disappear by being killed at the root and your existing grass gets fed so it’s instantly green, revealing areas ready for reseeding. Please note that this product should only be used on an established lawn that is 6 months+ old.
Once you have applied this fertiliser, water it off or apply it just before rain is due. Additionally, you should avoid applying during very hot weather - it’s better to apply on cooler evenings or on overcast days. For more information on how to apply fertiliser correctly, please read our Fertiliser Help & Advice guides.
5 Tips for applying Weed and Feed Fertiliser on your lawn:
- Apply only on an established lawn (6 months + older)
- Apply our fertiliser at the recommended rate by hand, either when wearing gloves or when using a spreader
- Water the fertiliser in, until it dissolves
- Keep kids and pets away from the lawn during application and until the granules dissolve
- Remove and clean any footwear you were wearing during the application of the fertiliser to avoid any risk of damage to newly laid patios / stone flag flooring
Be aware that if you do not water your fertiliser in, you can potentially scorch existing grass or delay the benefits of the fertiliser. Likewise, if the fertiliser does not disappear and dissolve off the surface after initial watering, then water it until you can no longer see the granules.
After you have successfully applied and watered in the fertiliser, be sure to allow the product to work for over two weeks before overseeding patches with fresh grass seed.
Here's what you should do if you encounter weeds on your newly seeded lawn:
- Don't panic and don’t use a Feed, Weed and Mosskiller product on a new lawn
- These weeds will be shallow rooting and you can pull them out by hand, or wait until the 6–8-week mark to mow them out
- If the weeds are persistent and reoccurring, use a selective herbicide to spot-treat them
In summary, if you find that your lawn has been taken over by weeds or moss (and is at least 6 months one), you can use our Feed, Weed & Mosskiller product to rectify the problem. We also have additional information on how to control weeds on a newly seeded lawn and when to mow and fertilise your new lawn.