Also referred to as shade-tolerant grass seed or grass seed for shade – shady grass seed is the answer to your patchy lawn growth problems. When parts of your garden are in shadow most of the day, or if your garden lawn suffers from reduced sunlight due to high walls, overarching trees or looming hedgerows, shady grass seed is what you need!
STEADFAST – shady grass seed that grows in minimal sunlight
If areas of your lawn don't get consistent sunlight, then shady grass seed is the answer. Our STEADFAST: Shade is a specialist grass seed mix suited to dappled shade and is ideal for lawns that get spells of sunlight throughout the day. But if your garden has areas that get hardly any sunlight or is shaded completely for most of the day, then our STEADFAST: Ultra Shade is the seed mix you need!
Does grass grow without sunlight?
Normal grasses struggle in low light conditions, and specialist grasses work very well in various degrees of shade – but no grass can grow without any sunlight! But when people ask this question, they usually mean, “Will grass grow in low-light conditions?”.
This is where our specialist shady grass seed comes in! The species within our mixes are not only for growing in the shade but are tolerant of different shade levels - this means they can also grow in the sun. And since all grass species have different traits, we put the best grass seeds for growing in the shade in our shade mixes!
It is also worth pointing out that areas with large trees or bushes blocking sunlight will limit the amount of rainfall reaching the soil. A lack of moisture combined with low sunlight limits the growth of many grass types, but we also considered this when choosing our mixes to ensure our shady grass seed would also grow well in drought conditions.
What is in our STEADFAST shady grass seed mixes?
Our STEADFAST: Shade grass seed mix is ideal for non-permanent, dappled shade and contains perennial ryegrass to make your lawn hardwearing, blended with fescues (Strong Creeping Red Fescue, Chewings Fescue, Hard Fescue) to provide lushness. Smooth Stalked Meadow Grass is added to give this seed mix the shade tolerance that your lawn needs.
STEADFAST: Shade detailed mixture breakdown:
- Perennial Ryegrass (20%): Offering superb shade tolerance, this species has a rich green colour and mixes well with many other grass types.
- Strong Creeping Red Fescue (45%): Offers a high shoot density, grows relatively slowly and has very fine needle-like leaves. This hardy species thrives under a wide range of conditions and grows well in shaded lawns!
- Smooth Stalked Meadow Grass (10%): Known in America as Kentucky Bluegrass. This durable species has excellent self-repairing capabilities to bring your shade-damaged lawn back to life quickly. It also provides a denser turf than Fescue, making it a valuable addition to shade mixtures.
- Hard Fescue (10%): Noted for being a maintenance grass species, it offers a particularly upright growth habit. It also grows well in poor soil conditions and areas of low shade.
- Chewings Fescue (15%): Its fine texture, high-growth density, good drought resistance and shade tolerance make it a beneficial addition to shady grass seed mixtures.
STEADFAST: Ultra Shade
Our STEADFAST: Ultra Shade offers the ultimate in shaded lawn growth! We combined Chewings Fescue and shade-tolerant Smooth Stalked Meadow Grass to achieve this. However, the special ingredient in this seed mix is Poa Supina. This genuinely revolutionary grass seed can grow in little to no light!
STEADFAST: Ultra Shade detailed mixture breakdown:
- Smooth Stalked Meadow Grass (40%): As previously mentioned, this seed type is known in America as Kentucky Bluegrass. This durable species has excellent self-repairing capabilities to quickly bring your shade-damaged lawn back to life. It also provides a denser turf than Fescue, making it a useful addition to shade mixtures.
- Chewings Fescue (50%): Noted for being particularly low maintenance & offers a particularly upright growth habit. This species grows very well in poor soil and low-light conditions, such as lawn-shaded areas.
- Poa Supina (10%): This exceptionally shade-tolerant species is known to have “grown where no grass has grown before”. Its resistance to soil disease and aggressive growth make it for heavily shaded or damaged lawn areas.
Shady grass seed grows in areas deprived of sunlight!
Now that you know that shady grass seed is the answer if your lawn is deprived of sunlight, you may be interested in some helpful tips on sowing your grass seed, or maybe you would like some advice on choosing the right lawn seed for shady conditions. Also, if you want to ask us questions that may be unique to your lawn, please email us; we will be happy to help!