Is your lawn not looking its best due to lack of sunlight? In most cases every garden has at least a little shade, however it’s very common for this shade to damage the growth of grass on your lawn.
Lawn shade damage simply comes down to the fact that grass needs sunlight to grow. With sun blockers like large trees or walls stopping rays of sun reaching your lawn, the grass finds it difficult to flourish.
At The Grass People we understand lawn care can be tough when you have difficult growing conditions like shade. So we’ve developed two easy to use seed mixtures, STEADFAST: Shade and SUPER STEADFAST: Ultra Shade. Through careful research of lawn shade and selection of grass varieties both mixtures are incredibly shade tolerant. When used appropriately they rejuvenate shade damaged grass to luscious and vibrantly green grass.
Partially Shade Damaged LawnsSTEADFAST grass seed is designed to grow in shaded areas of lawns, particularly those damaged by garden trees or dappled areas of your garden’s grass. STEADFAST is a hardwearing grass seed mixture which boasts magnificent results in repairing your lawn.
Mixture Breakdown· Perennial Ryegrass (15%) – this grass seed species offers excellent lawn shade tolerance. It has a dark, rich green colour, and is particularly well known as a companion grass which mixes well with many other grass types.
· Strong Creeping Fescue (35%) – this species has a high shoot density, relatively slow growth and has very fine needle like leaves. It thrives under a wide range of conditions in particular light restricted soils such as shaded lawns.
· Smooth Stalked Meadow grass (10%) – known in America as Kentucky Bluegrass. This species is an extremely hardwearing with excellent repair capabilities to bring your shade damage lawn back to life. It also makes a denser turf than fescue so it is a useful addition to shade mixtures.
· Hard Fescue (40%) – this species is noted for being particularly low maintenance and offers a particularly upright growth habit. It is well known to grow in poor soil conditions and areas of low shad such as shaded areas.
Severely Shade Damaged LawnsSUPER STEADFAST grass seed is best suited to garden lawns with very low exposure to sun light. SUPER STEADFAST is a specially blended lawn seed developed to rescue grass damaged by wall or high fence shade. This grass seed mixture contains the exceptionally shade tolerant grass species Poa Supina which when sown in May can germinate best results due to the soil being warm.
Mixture Breakdown· Smooth Stalked Meadow grass (40%) - known in America as Kentucky Bluegrass. This species is an extremely has excellent repair capabilities. It has the advantage of making a denser turf than fescue so it is a useful addition to shade mixtures.
· Hard Fescue (50%) - this species is noted for being particularly low maintenance and offers a particularly upright growth habit. It is well known to grow in poor soil conditions and areas of low shad such as lawn shaded areas.
· Poa Ssupina (10%) - this exceptionally shade tolerant species is expensive but is known to ‘grown where no grass has grown before’. It’s resistance to soil disease and aggressive growth make it for heavily shaded or damaged areas of your lawn.
Find out how to sow grass seed here.